About the Fellowship
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is made possible through a partnership between CIEE and the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions (PENN CMSI), in an effort to make study abroad accessible to students from Minority Serving Institutions (MSI).
100% of a recipients’ program fees and travel costs are covered for an intensive 4-week, 3-credit summer study abroad program designed to enhance their leadership and intercultural skills. Frederick Douglass Global fellows commit to sharing their experience and intercultural growth with peers and classmates.
Ten scholarships are awarded annually based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and nominations from students’ MSI senior leadership.
New for this year, all qualified applicants who don’t receive a Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship are guaranteed a $1,500 grant toward select summer '19 programs.
To be eligible for the 2019 Frederick Douglass Global Fellow scholarship, applicants must:
2019 Application Now Open
- Be a current undergraduate freshman or sophomore attending a Minority Serving Institution
- Be Pell Grant-eligible
- Have a minimum GPA 3.00
- Reside in the U.S. with student status or be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident.
Please note that 2 applications are required for this program:
(1) the CSUF Study Abroad Online Application which you can complete here - Due by 8 February
(2) the CIEE Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship program application - Due by 14 February. See below for more details.
Items below should be submitted through the online application
- Nomination from a
member of senior leadership (either the president/chancellor, provost, vice president, or dean) at your institution faculty member (requirement recently adjusted)
- Copy of transcript
- Proof of Pell Grant eligibility
- Personal Video - Upload a short 2-minute video that provides a detailed explanation of your objectives for study abroad. In this explanation discuss how the combination of your major and participation in study abroad will support your development and help you meet your academic goals and become a global leader.
- Personal Essay - Discuss why you believe study abroad is important for students from MSIs and how you plan to share your study abroad experience with others upon returning (Limit 800 words).