Programs > Brochure
CSUF: HUM 350 Winter Session in Madrid, Spain
Madrid, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|NOTE: Early Bird Application Deadline: 31 May Final Deadline: 14 September|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10000Program Type:
|CSUF Department/Faculty-Led||Housing Options:||Host Family, Hotels, Residence Halls|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10003Areas of Study:
|European Studies, Humanities, International/Global Studies, Modern Languages, Spanish||
Glossary entry for program parameter 10007Language of Instruction:
Glossary entry for program parameter 10008College:
|College of Humanities & Social Sciences||Prerequisite:||Instructor Permission|
Glossary entry for program parameter 10011CSUF Faculty:
CSUF: HUM 350 Spanish Life & Culture. Madrid, Spain, Winter 2019
Topics to be explored include: government, finance, education, religion, social and cultural values, health, and everyday life, among others. Comparisons will be made with similar systems in the U.S. and Europe.
The abroad portion of the program will be held primarily in Madrid, with included excursions to Granada, Toledo, and Segovia, from January 1-19, 2019. Students will also complete an online program component, from December 17-21, 2018.
Learn more about past students' experiences here:
Jillian Boyd Article - OC Register
Program Dates: December 2018; January 1-19, 2019
|17-21 Dec. 2018||Online classes|
|1 Jan. 2019||U.S. departure date|
|2 Jan. 2019||Madrid arrival date|
|2-19 Jan. 2019||Program in Madrid (excursions to Granada, Toledo, and Segovia)|
|19 Jan. 2019||Madrid departure date|
|19 Jan. 2019||U.S. arrival date (may vary)|
- Earn 3 units
- Course led by experienced CSUF faculty leader
- Language and cultural immersion
- Opportunity to experience everyday life with a Spanish family
- Meaningful cultural activities included in the program
- Explore Madrid and enjoy additional excursions to Granada, Toledo, and Segovia!
For more information about the this program please visit any of our information meetings below.
Course and Faculty
Students are expected to attend all of their class meetings and meet all class requirements(online, abroad, and on the CSUF campus), unless there is a medical reason which prevents them from doing so, and to adhere to all behavioral norms established on their respective campuses. Additionally, they are required to follow the laws and regulations, and respect the cultural mores, national traditions and customs of the host country.
HUM 350 Spanish Life and Culture
|Dr. Juan Carlos Gallego
Professor of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
In Madrid, students will live with a Spanish host family or residence halls at the Universidad Complutense Madrid campus or a combination of both. (TBD) In Granada, one night accommodation will be provided for the overnight excursion.
Costs & Financial Aid
Program Fee - Approximately $2,685 (based on 2018 program fee and subject to change)
Program fees cover lodging as described above, airport pick-up within designated time window on day of arrival (TBD), ground transportation in Spain for program-related field trips and excursions, metro pass for each participant for bus/subway transportation intended for travel between host family and classroom facility; excursions (2 days in Granada, 1 day each in Toledo and Segovia) 3 meals/day in Madrid, one breakfast and one dinner in Granada, and breakfast and dinner on other excursion days to Toledo and Segovia as indicated on the itinerary (TBD), entrance fees for program related activities, onsite orientation, support of local host (Modern Language Studies Abroad-MLSA), use of MLSA classroom space, and required international health insurance:
- $2,585.00 per participant - Payable to MLSA (Please see MLSA refund policy*)
- $100 Registration fee per participant - Payable to MLSA - nonrefundable
- Program fees are based on a minimum student enrollment. If enrollment falls below the minimum, CSUF reserves the right to adjust the program fee to accommodate a smaller number of students.
- Foreign Travel Health Insurance coverage is provided both by CSUF and MLSA for the duration of your travel abroad.
Additional Costs Not included in the Program Fee
- CSUF Winter Session 2018 tuition and student fees
- Passport and visa fees
- International airfare
- Meals not indicated above
- Personal expenses (shopping, entertainment, independent travel, etc.)
- Optional Trip Cancellation Insurance
There are many opportunities for CSUF students to study abroad and continue to receive financial aid. Click here to learn more about financial aid for study abroad.
Passport & Visa
You must have a valid passport for at least six (6) months after the date of international departure. U.S. passport applications can be obtained at any major post office. See here for more information. This process usually takes about 4-6 weeks, so plan early to apply for a new or renewed passport.
U.S. passport holders do not require a visa to enter the country of Spain for this program.
Non-US passport holders may or may not require a visa.
for specific information about visa requirements for non-US passport holders.
Application & Deadlines
- Good academic standing
- Valid passport and visa (if applicable); see above section
- Completed online program application
Deadlines and Important Dates
|May 30, 2018||Early Bird Application Deadline|
|June 4, 2018||Early Bird Status Notification|
|June 11, 2018||Early Bird Commitment Deadline|
|Sept. 14, 2018
||Regular Decision Online Application Due|
|Sept. 17, 2018||Application Status Notification
|Sept. 24, 2018||Student Commitment Deadline
|TBD||Program Payments Due|
|TBD||Online Program Forms Due|
Programming-related Questions (e.g. payments, enrollment, etc.): Abigail Segura, Study Abroad Program Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Course-related Questions: Professor Gallego - email@example.com
Application and Online Forms: Study Abroad Office - firstname.lastname@example.org
MLSA Refund Policy
Refunds: The student agrees to accept the terms of the Refund Policy as outlined in the application and specified here.
- If a participant withdraws more than 60 days before leaving, he/she receives a full refund less US$400 and US$100 non-refundable registration fee.
- If a participant withdraws 59 to 30 days before departure, he/she receives a partial refund but the amount withheld will be US $900 and US$100 non-refundable registration fee.
- If a participant withdraws 29 days or less prior to departure, participants will be refunded only 20% of total cost less US$100 non-refundable registration fee.
- NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OR ANY REASON for unused accommodations, meals, land transportation, hotels, or other activities once the trip has begun. No reduction or refunds will be made for services not used by the student and no substitution will be allowed for services not used. Services cannot be transferred to another person.
- Participants may purchase the Trip Cancellation Insurance.
- Students who must withdraw from the Program because of a covered injury or illness will receive a refund of all Fees paid less the US$100 non-refundable registration Fee, and a US$400 processing fee.
- Students who are academically withdrawn by their home institutions after their applications have been processed by MLSA are subject to the standard refund policy
In the event of the U.S. State Department issuing a travel warning or alert which advises U.S. citizens not to travel to Madrid, or if they are already in Madrid, to leave it, MLSA will:
- If the Program has not started, either make suitable alternative arrangements or cancel the Program and refund all Fees paid.
- If the Program has started, suspend the Program and fly the students home.
- If students are returned home they will receive a pro-rata rebate of fees paid to MLSA for the proportion of the Program not completed, less the US$100 non-refundable registration fee, the US$400 processing fee, and any costs incurred flying the student home.